Saturday, November 27, 2010

Winter = Comfort Foods

So the first snow just hit Denmark, and as always the entire country is in panic, or at least it gives everyone a common theme to complain about. And of course it is cold, everything gets soaked and the roads are terrible but it is also the perfect excuse to stay in, cuttle up on the couch and stay there all weekend (or something like that). So since I had decided to be all lazy and not go to the grocery store I decided to raid the fridge and make a bowl of soup. Inspired by the recipe for creamy pork tenderloin I just emptied the fridge and this is the result:

250g Mushroom
2 leeks
1.5 C White Cabbage
4 chicken sausages
2 cans of coconut milk
2 cubes of chicken broth
Butter or olive oil

In a large pot fry the mushrooms, leeks, cabbage and sausages in butter or olive oil. When the mushrooms starts getting soft add the coconut milk and the chicken broth and let the whole thing simmer for 10-15 minutes (or until the you get the desired thickness). Thats it, serve and enjoy. It might look strange but it tastes really really good, and you can pretty much add whatever kind of vegetable or meat you like. Crispy bacon would probably have been delicious or dry fried ham, I just happened to have some left over sausages in the fridge.

So even though the weather tells you to stay indoor and be cosy and warm, the newly fallen snow is my favorite running environment. I get all giddy when the first snow falls (just ask my running partner and all my friends who think I'm insane). Everything just becomes quiet, the air is more fresh, you pretty much have the streets to yourself, and no matter what time of day it is it is bright outside instead of gray boring. So when people start immigrating into the gym to use the treadmills to avoid the cold weather I do the opposite and run as often as I can. So if you are one of the people out there thinking that this is not running weather just give it a try, it might surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment